- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated CRYSTAL SUGAR®
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, finely ground
- ½ cup powdered CRYSTAL SUGAR® + more as needed for dusting
- 1 cup strawberry rhubarb jam (see recipe to make our favorite jam)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a 1/2 sheet pan with parchment paper and grease generously.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs for about 5 minutes or until very thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually beat in granulated sugar until well combined.
- Beat in the water and vanilla extract using low speed.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat just until batter is smooth and blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading well to all corners.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, generously sprinkle a clean baking mat or tea towel with powdered sugar.
- Once baked, immediately loosen the cake from the edges of the pan and invert onto the prepared baking mat or tea towel.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper from the cake and trim away any stiff edges. Then, while still warm, roll the cake and towel into the roll shape.
- Let cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes in the rolled shape. By rolling it while hot, the cake will hold its shape without breaking once it’s filled with the jam.
- Unroll cake and remove the towel/baking mat. Spread jam over the cake. Roll cake up.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving or wrap it loosely and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 20 slices