- 5 cups toasted rice cereal
- 10 ounces CRYSTAL SUGAR® homemade marshmallow (see recipe)
- ½ cup butter (1 stick cut into 8 pieces)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt for topping (optional)
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Spread the toasted rice cereal on the baking sheet and bake for 3–5 minutes, stirring every 45–60 seconds to avoid burning. Remove when golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Turn oven to broil. Spray another foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Place marshmallows in a single layer on the baking sheet and broil 60 seconds or until golden brown and toasted. Monitor closely to avoid burning or scorching. Remove and let cool.
- Grease the inside of an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- Place butter in a large pot and melt over medium heat. Once butter melts, it will start to foam. Cook butter for 5–7 minutes or until it turns golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour in lemon juice. This stops the butter from browning further and gives a lift to the flavor.
- Reduce heat to low. Add marshmallows and continue cooking until marshmallows melt, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula. Add vanilla extract and stir. Add toasted rice cereal and continue to stir on low until cereal is evenly coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Working quickly, place the mixture into the baking dish. Spray the back of a measuring cup with cooking spray and use this to gently but firmly press the mixture down into an even, flat layer. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Then, let cool completely until set. Cut bars to desired size. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Yield: 12 – 2×3 bars