“Easter wouldn’t have been Easter at my house unless my Irish mother served this luscious pie. She used this recipe for nearly 50 years, and now my family expects this for Easter dinner dessert as well.”
1 cup granulated CRYSTAL SUGAR®
1¼ cups water
1 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons milk
1 baked 8-inch pie shell
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons granulated CRYSTAL SUGAR®
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine sugar, water and butter; heat until sugar is dissolved. Add cornstarch blended in cold water, cook slowly about 8 minutes until clear. Add lemon juice and rind. Cook 2 minutes.
- Mix the egg yolks and milk together. Slowly add to warm mixture, stirring constantly, and bring slowly to boiling point. Do not boil.
- Pour into 8-inch baked pastry shell. Cool, spread with meringue.
- Meringue: beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Add sugar slowly, about a tablespoon at a time, and beat thoroughly until sugar is dissolved. Beat in lemon juice.
- Bake at 350°F for 12–15 minutes.