“This recipe came from the back of an American Crystal Sugar bag. My family has enjoyed it for more than 30 years now.”
¾ cup butter or margarine
1½ cups granulated CRYSTAL SUGAR®
1½ cups mashed bananas (4 to 6 bananas)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup buttermilk or sour milk
½ cup broken nuts, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream: butter or margarine and add sugar. Cream well.
- Blend in bananas, eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together: flour, baking soda and salt, and add alternately with buttermilk or sour milk to creamed mixture.
- Blend just until well combined.
- Fold in nuts, if desired.
- Pour into greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1½ hours.
Hint: you can also sour regular milk with 2 teaspoons of vinegar.